Businesses often hesitate to use social media tools internally, fearing that information may be shared too broadly or outside the company in error. Google has taken a major step to alleviate these concerns with the recent announcement of Secure Google+ Communities for organizations running Google Apps for Business, Education, and Government.
Going forward, all Google+ communities are only visible to people within your domain.
You can still create and share communities with external parties — customers, vendors, business partners — utilizing a new suite of management settings.
Why use Google+ Communities?
- Encourage employees to share more information about themselves in their profiles, such as skills and interests, making it easier to find peer resources and discuss new ideas
- Sharing files from Drive is easy, as is sharing videos
- Threaded discussions and comments facilitate communication and teamwork, even across functional areas
- Manage events, meetings, and hangouts
- Better engage your Gen X and Y team members
You can learn more about the power of social tools, and other ways of getting more from Google Apps, by viewing the recording of our recent event in New York. The event was co-hosted by Google with The Manhattan Chamber of Commerce, The 4th Bin, and Google Gooru as supporting sponsors.