3 More Reasons You Are an Easy Cybercrime Target
Last week, we gave you three reasons why you, as a small or midsize business, are a viable and desirable target for cyber criminals.
If those reasons don’t give you enough reason to act, here are three (3) more reasons SMBs, and you, a target for cyber criminals…
SMB data is increasingly networked
- All of your systems — databases, email, documents, marketing, point-of-sale, and more — are likely running on a single network.
- Access to one of your systems can lead to access to others. Target’s POS system was hacked using a security flow in the HVAC monitoring system running on the same network.
- Moving data and systems into secure cloud solutions, and segregating network traffic minimizes the cross-over risk.
SMBs are using consumer products for business data
- Consumer grade services are often more affordable, but often lack the security and data protection features of the higher-priced, business versions.
- Separate work and home and use solutions designed for business, and, make sure to configure the security and privacy setting accordingly.
SMBs are often lax when it comes to security
- Many small businesses operate in an environment of trust; people know and trust one another. This trust can be exploited by a disgruntled employee or an outsider.
- Keep user identity management and passwords private and secure; Manage administrator and “super user” passwords so that they are unique, complex, and secure.
- Keep servers and systems with sensitive data/access secure; enforce screen locking and passwords.
- Educate your staff on security risks and behaviors.
Taking cyber security seriously is the first and best step in protecting your business, employees, and customers. Protection need not be overly complex; nor must reasonable protection be a budget busting expense. Reasonable measures balance cost and security.
Interested in ensuring you are protected, contact us for a free Cloud Advisor Session, or learn about our data protection solutions and our privacy solutions.