So much of the discussion about Microsoft versus Google and others includes a mention that businesses will not give up using Microsoft Office for other alternatives. The general wisdom is that Google Apps and other solutions are niche players, but will never have a significant presence in the enterprise.
But are those that ignore history doomed to repeat it?
Not too long ago …
- Nobody got fired for choosing IBM …. until they did.
- No business would seriously choose a CLEC over their established telephony carrier … until they did.
- No IT leader would stake his or her reputation on free Red Hat Linux over Solaris or A/IX … until they did.
- No business would ever move off of the secure Blackberry network … until they did.
Flash forward to now.
- Businesses are not going to reconsider their use and licensing of Microsoft Office … Until …