Last week, Google made a huge announcement about the Google Docs service under Google Apps Premier Edition. To summarize:
- Users can now upload documents of ANY TYPE to Google Docs
- If you upload a file that can convert to Google Docs, you have the option to convert or to maintain the native format
- Documents you convert still have size and format/feature limitations
- Documents you do not convert remain in their native format and may be up to 250MB in size
- More Space
- You now have unlimited storage space for documents in Google Docs format (Document, Spreadsheet, Presentation, Forms)
- Storage for documents kept in native format has been increased from 500MB to 1GB
- Even More Space
- You will be able to purchase more space
- While rumors abound about the cost, Google has not released final pricing and has not provided resellers with the ability to add more space for their customers … yet.
The impact of these changes amazing. Google Docs can now be used as a virtual file server. Over the next few weeks, we will be evaluating tools that leverage these new capabilities and will post our findings here.